1919, The Jallianwala Bagh was no "garden but a desolate
piece of land - a rectangle of irregular shape, where hundereds of indians were martyed during the british rule. The 'Flame of liberty' was constructed
in 1954 and inaugurated by the President, Dr Rajindra Parsad
in 1961. On the four sides of the memorial, the words, "In
memory of martyrs-13 April,1919" has been inscribed in
Hindi, Punjabi ,Urdu and English.